Record

LevelFonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)BU
TitleThe Bunce Collection
Extent36 items
Date1546-1896
DescriptionA small collection of letters and manuscripts acquired by John Thackray Bunce together with some of his own personal and family papers. His collection of manuscripts include a document signed by Catherine Medici, dated 1546, letters to Thomas Percy, bishop of Dromore, 1780, and a letter of Louis XV, King of Prussia, 1722. Bunce's own papers include the manuscript of his 'Life of Sir Josiah Mason' published in 1890, notes for his history of Birmingham, albums of newscuttings which include some of his own writings, accounts relating to the building of his house in Edgbaston in 1878 and notebooks of his daughters, Myra and Kate.
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered researchers
LanguageEnglish
French
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue. A paper copy is also available in the Cadbury Research Library: Special Collections Department.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryJohn Thackray Bunce (1828-1899) was editor of the Birmingham Daily Post from 1862 until 1898. He was also a trustee of Mason College (which subsequently became the University of Birmingham) and a member of Museums and Art Schools, and Free Libraries Committees of the Birmingham Corporation. His publications included 'Cloudland and Shadowland, a Story for Children' (1865); Fairy Tales, their Origin and Meaning (1878); 'History of the Corporation of Birmingham' (1885); 'Life of Sir Josiah Mason, with History of Electro-plating and Steel Pen Making' (1890); and 'History of the Birmingham Musical Festivals'. He also edited with additions, 'The Life of David Cox' by W. Hall (1881).

He married Rebecca (nee Cheesewright, d 1891) and had two daughters, Myra Louise (b c 1853) and Kate Elizabeth (b c 1856).

Reference: 'Who was who'
AcquisitionThis collection was acquired during the 1950s, possibly in more than one deposit