|Administrative History||CMS work in what is now Canada began in 1822 and was primarily amongst the Indian and Inuit peoples. The main stations were: Red River Settlement (Winnipeg) (1822), The Pas, Manitoba (1840), Lac la Ronge (Stanley), Saskatchewan (1852), Fort Simpson, North West Territories (1858) and York Factory, Manitoba (1854). Work in the Arctic amongst the Inuit ['Eskimos'] was handed over to the Canadian Church in 1907. From 1903, CMS made annually decreasing grants for the support of a locally appointed ministry and all work was finally handed over to the Missionary Society of the Canadian Church in 1920. |
|Custodial History||Papers catalogued by Rosemary A. Keen.|
|Microfilm in the Public Archives of Canada: The original organisation of the papers under the overall superintendence of the Committee of Correspondence was divided into two chronological sequences. For the period before 1868 there were groups of papers relating to such matters as correspondence with bishops, medical certificates, indents and printed papers; there were also papers and journals for the individual missionaries and agents etc Then from 1869 till 1880 the documents were arranged roughly in years in the order in which they were entered in the mission books. With no detailed indexes or finding aids this arrangement is awkward and the first archivist (1951-53) had wisely decided to incorporate the 1869-80 documents in the pre-1868 method of arrangement. This re-arrangement had not been done for Canada when the bulk of the series (mainly pre-1890) was microfilmed in 1955 for the Public Archives of Canada, but had been completed by 1959 when the present archivist was appointed The catalogue of the series now, therefore, bears no relationship to the order of the documents on the microfilm [as listed in the transcript of the film A-480 'CMS Finding Aid']*; and although an attempt has been made with the small British Columbia section to identify each individual item on the microfilm, the sheer magnitude of the task has prevented a similar attempt being made for the North-West Canada mission. It is regretted that some items on the microfilm list were not found when the present catalogue was compiled|
*A copy of this was presented to the CMS Archives Office in 1965 by the Ecclesiastical Province Of Rupert's and may be consulted by researchers.