|Administrative History||CMS work in the countries bordering the Mediterranean began in Malta in 1815 and extended to Greece, Turkey and Asia Minor, Egypt and Palestine. It also included Abyssinia.|
Work in Malta was given up in 1843. In the Greek Islands the main station was Syra [Syros], occupied in 1830 and relinquished in 1875.
Work in Turkey centred on Constantinople 1819-21, 1858-77, while in Asia Minor, Smyrna was occupied 1830-1877.
Work in Abyssinia began in 1830, in 1841 the administration was transferred to the East Africa mission [C A5] and the mission closed in 1842. The Eygpt mission began in 1826 at Cairo and was given up in 1861. In 1882 it was revived as a separate mission in the Africa Group of missions [G3 E].
In 1880 the Mediterranean mission closed and the work of the CMS in this geographical area was taken over by the Palestine mission [see G3 P]
|Custodial History||Papers of the Mediterranean and Palestine missions were catalogued by H. S. Cobb 1951. Hard copy handlist revised by: Rosemary Keen 1967-1968. Further revised and expanded by Rosemary Keen 1980-1981. Deposited in the Library of the University of Birmingham, 1981.|