|Work in Mauritius was initially considered an off-shoot from South India. The archive series also covers work in Madagascar and the Seychelles and from 1868 to 1874 the mission books include East Africa despatches, for Mauritius was considered a base for operations in East Africa.
Mauritius: work began in 1856 amongst the immigrant coolies from South India (Tamils) and North India (Hindustani and Bengali speakers); itinerating districts centred on Port Louis, Plaines Wilhems and Plaisance; the work was handed over to the Church in Mauritius 31 December 1908, although complete separation did not come about until July 1919, a small annual grant being paid during that time; the lady missionaries were transferred to India while the remaining clergyman was taken on to the ecclesiastical staff.
Madagasgar: work began in 1863 and centred on Vohimare (1864) and Andovoranto (1866). Following difficulties over the appointment of a bishop the mission was wound up in 1874.
Seychelles: work began in 1871 and was at first treated as a branch of the East Africa mission [A 5 see separate catalogue: Group 3]. The main work was an industrial school and settlement for the children of freed African slaves at Venn's Town, Capucin, Mahe. By 1894 it was no longer needed and the work was handed over to the Seychelles branch of the Mauritius Diocesan Society.
|Papers catalogued by Rosemary A. Keen, July 1975. Handlist revised and expanded by Rosemary Keen, March 1985.