|Administrative History||CMS work in the Sudan began at Omdurman (1899) and Khartoum (1900). In 1905 funds collected in memory of General Gordon were used to start a new mission in the South and the first station, Malek, was opened in 1906.|
Until 1905 all the Sudan work was administered from Egypt [E q.v.] and Khartoum and its neighbourhood continued thus until 1931, when it became part of the Northern Sudan mission [SN].
That part of the diocese of the Upper Nile which was in the Southern Sudan was administered as part of the Sudan mission while the Uganda part of the diocese was treated separately and called Upper Nile (or Elgon) mission [A10 q.v.].
The CMS Sudan mission had as its principal centres of work Malek (1906), Yambio (1913), Yei (1917), Juba (1920), Lui and Opari (1921) and Maridi (1922).
Secretaries with primary responsibility for the Egypt and Sudan missions:
1889-1892 Robert Lang; 1892-1912 Frederick Baylis; 1912-1925 George Thomas Manley; 1926-1934 Handley Douglas Hooper
Secretary to the General Committee [Honorary Clerical Secretary 1889-1992; General Secretary 1922-1934] [The General Committee was the policy-making committee and its secretary was considered primus inter pares]:
1880-1895 Frederick Edward Wigram; 1895-1910 Henry Elliott Fox; 1910-1922 Cyril Charles Bowman Bardsley; 1923-1925 Herbert Lankaster; 1926-1941 William Wilson Cash
Lay Secretary [secretary to Finance Committee]:
1888-1894 Major General Clennell Collingwood; 1895-1907 David Marshall Lang; 1908-1909 Robert Machonachie; 1910-1921 Herbert Lankaster; 1922-1925 John Kinahan [acting]; 1925-1937 Louis Steele
|Custodial History||Papers catalogued by Rosemary Keen, 1980. Deposited in the Library of the University of Birmingham, 1981.|