|Description||Correspondence and papers, giving news of the Society, its training institution, students and missionaries including biographical information, testimonials and correspondence about men who went out under the CMS and reports of work in areas where CMS did not have mission stations. Includes:|
/1-203 letters from Secretaries of the Basel Evangelical Missionary Society 1820-1850;
/204-222 letters and papers listed alphabetically by name of correspondent 1820-1848;
/223-238 monthly printed papers [in French and German] comprising extracts of correspondence received by the Society's committee 1822-1823 and 1828;
/239-245 miscellaneous papers including Basel [training] Institution papers 1827-1838.
The letters are annotated with the name of correspondents, date received, date of committee meeting at which the item was considered and brief notes of action taken. The printed extracts of committee correspondence include items from Barenbruck, Jetter, Maisch, Reichardt, Deininger, Baer, Betzner, Blumhardt, Bormeister, Curfess, Dittrich, Durr, Hohenacher, Josenhans, Kindlinger, King, Knill, Lang, Dr Paterson, Saltet, Steinkopf, Winckler and Zaremba and others.
|Administrative History||The Society was founded in 1815. The Basel Institution (also referred to as the Missionary Seminary) that was established in connection with the Society admitted its first students in 1916 under the charge of Reverend Christian Gottlieb Blumhardt ('Theophilus' in the CMS records). |
1815-1838 Reverend 'Theophilus' Blumhardt
1839-1849 Dr William Hoffmann
1850 J. Josenhans