|Copyright||Researchers may make or request a copy of the transcript for private use. Copies made for private use must not be passed on or published in any without seeking permission from the author and any other copyright holders.|
Anyone wishing to publish citing more than very brief extracts of 50 words or so, should seek permission.
Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing, from the Cadbury Research Library as custodian of the archive (email: email@example.com), from the Church Mission Society as owner of the original papers from which the transcription was made and from the author, Penney Thompson, and any other copyright holders. Responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. Copyright details supplied by the author are given below.
‘Introduction to “The Journals and Letters of Dr. J. P. Gardiner 1857 – 1872”’ by Penney Thompson made available under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivatives 4.0. Licence (International) (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0): https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Author’s photos and charts and Author’s Archive images: copyright Penney Thompson 2021 all rights reserved.
Other illustrations, maps and photos: copyright or public domain as indicated iin the paper.
Google permissions: where Google Maps and Google Streetview have been used they are used under this generic licence: https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/
|Administrative History||Joseph Phelps Gardiner, D. D., missionary and clergyman, was born in Gloucestershire in 1828. He first departed England as a CMS missionary, 19 June 1857, heading for York [Factory], part of the CMS ‘North-West America Mission’ [in what is now Canada]. |
In 1858, he was ordained by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, as deacon (1 August) and as priest (8 August). He moved to [Fort] Churchill in 1862. After returning to England 19 September 1863-30 June 1865, he was based at St Andrew’s, Red River. He set sail for England for the second and final time, 19 September 1872 and retired as a CMS missionary in February, 1873. He continued his link with CMS, being appointed Association Secretary for Lancashire 10 March 1873. In 1875, he was appointed Vicar of Bishop Ryder’s Church, Birmingham. In 1879, he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Divinity by the Archbishop of Canterbury. He died 7 July 1913.
Rev Dr Gardiner was survived by his wife, Jane, nee Watson, who died 30 November 1917.
Source: annotated ‘Register of missionaries (clerical, lay & female) and native clergy from 1804 to 1904’, Church Missionary Society, 1905.
Further biographical details for Joseph and Jane are given as part of the author’s text.