|Administrative History||The Missionary Leaves Association (MLA) was founded in 1869 by Reverend R. C. Billing and Mrs H. G. Malaher of Reading, Miss A. Lanfear of Hungerford and other friends. Mr H. G. Malaher was its first Secretary 1869-1905, and its headquarters were at 20 Compton Terrace, London. The purpose of the Association was to assist Church Missionary Society missionaries and indigenous clergy in the CMS mission areas by providing an agency through which they could obtain things necessary for their work but not provided by the CMS eg harmoniums, equipment for lantern shows, church furniture and bells etc. It also collected contributions for the support of orphans and children in boarding schools. The Missionary Leaves Trust (Incorporated) was formed in 1909 under the Companies (Consolidation) Act 1908 to act as trustee for MLA property and investments.|
The Association supplied goods for sale to people in the British Isles who organised fundraising events for the CMS. Exhibitions were arranged by local friends of the CMS and Church of England Zenana Missionary Society following the successful first missionary exhibition in 1882 at Cambridge. H. G. Malaher helped from the first in collecting and arranging the exhibits, many of which were provided by the CMS Loan Department.
The number of exhibitions increased until, by 1919, the CMS decided that it wished to exercise more control and created its own exhibition department; it appointed Thomas Holmes Baxter, MLA Secretary 1905-1920, as the head of what was to be called 'The General Wants Department of the CMS'; the Department was to absorb and develop the work of MLA and would be responsible for exhibitions, the servicing of working parties and the CMS Loan Department. In 1920, MLA went into voluntary liquidation and its work continued as part of the CMS General Wants Department which in 1921 was also to incorporate the Medical Wants Department and Sale of Work Department of the Medical Mission Auxiliary.
Source: Rosemary Keen, Catalogue of the papers of the Missionary Leaves Association; from the records.
The name of the ‘Church Missionary Society’ was changed to 'Church Mission Society' in April 1995.
|Custodial History||Presented 21 September 2022. Prior to donation, the music was held amongst the personal papers of the donor's family. |