|Description||Papers relating to Shaw's missionary service with the CMS in Southern Sudan, 1916-1930. Journals, notes and correspondence including copies and copy extracts, copies of 'Sudan Notes' (a local news sheet about mission work) and language notes.|
The papers relate to a period of considerable expansion of CMS mission work in this area. They include material relating to work among the Dinka People and at the Juba Boys School, letters from other CMS missionaries serving in Southern Sudan, principally Dr and Mrs K. M. Fraser and Rev Cuthbert Lea-Wilson. Also including copies of addresses by Shaw and other missionaries, typescript reports of some of his early pioneering treks, and a text about sleeping sickness in the Sudan.
Some of the papers (F1/5-24) refer to him as Eaton Chapel Fox Memorial missionary.
|Administrative History||Archibald Shaw (1879-1956) was educated at Bromsgrove School, Emanuel College, Cambridge and Ridley Hall, Cambridge. He was ordained deacon in 1903 and priest in 1904 and became curate of Walcot, Bath, Somerset. He was accepted as a CMS missionary in 1905 and served with the Sudan Mission, initially stationed at Bor and subsequently at Malek. He was appointed Archdeacon of Southern Provinces of Anglo-Egyptian Sudan in 1922. He retired in 1940 and he was appointed Archdeacon Emeritus by Bishop Gwynne. He died in Kenya in 1956. |
Reference: Manuscript register of CMS missionaries (Men 1905-1907) held in the CMS Archive.
|Custodial History||Presented to the CMS by Rev and Mrs Selwyn, 1963. Transferred on permanent loan to the University of Birmingham by the CMS in the 1980s.|