|Administrative History||Charles Lawrence Shaw (1886-1965) was born in Foochow, China, the son of Charles Shaw, a CMS missionary. He was educated at the CMS Children's Home at Limpsfield, St Lawrence College, Ramsgate and Sidney Sussex College and Ridley Hall, Cambridge. He was ordained as a deacon in 1909 and as a priest in 1920 and became curate of West Ham parish church. He was accepted as a CMS missionary in 1911 and served firstly at Biladia (Central Provinces Mission) and then with the West India Mission at Lusadia and Kherwara. He was appointed Canon of Bombay in 1940 and retired from full service in 1950. He returned to England in 1954 after the death of his wife, Lily Compigne (nee Guilford 1884-1954), daughter of Edward Guilford, also a CMS missionary. He died in 1965. |
Reference: unpublished additions to the CMS register of missionaries (men 1911-1914) in the CMS archives.
|Custodial History||Deposited with the CMS in 1965; transferred to the Special Collections Department by the CMS in the 1980s|