|Description||Papers of Gordon Hewitt connected with writing 'The Problems of Success, a history of CMS 1910-1942', published in two volumes by SCM Press for the CMS, Vol 1, 1971 and Vol 2, 1977. It includes drafts of some of his chapters, with readers' comments. It also includes answers from missionaries to a questionnaire on the significant facts in the countries where they worked, 1910-1942 (compiled by Max Warren, Secretary of the CMS). The collection also contains a range of Hewitt's correspondence, with publishers, with former members of CMS headquarters staff and others connected with the CMS, and relating to overseas visits he made in 1968 and 1969. It also includes printed material he acquired and various alphabetical lists of missionaries and home staff. In addition to his own papers there is also some material of M. E. (Mildred Eleanor) Gibbs relating to her research into the history of the Anglican Church in India, Pakistan, Burma and Ceylon which was not used in her book|
|Administrative History||George Henry Gordon Hewitt (1912-1998) was educated at Trent College, Brasenose College, Oxford and Wycliffe Hall, Oxford. He was ordained deacon in 1936, and priest in 1937. He was Assistant Curate at St Clement, Leeds, 1936-39; Chaplain at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, 1939-41; and then Assistant Curate at Leeds Parish Church, 1941-43. He then became Religious Book Editor at Lutterworth Press from 1943 until 1952; He was appointed Diocesan Education Secretary, Sheffield in 1952 and was also made Residentiary Canon at Sheffield Cathedral the following year. He became Vicar of St Andrew, Oxford in 1958 where he remained until 1964, then becoming Residentiary Canon at Chelmsford Cathedral from 1964 until 1978, when he became an Emeritus Canon. He was also Chaplain to the Queen from 1969 until 1982.|
In addition to his history of the CMS, his publications included Let the People Read. A short history of the United Society for Christian Literature, 1949.
Reference: Who was who 1991-2000
|Custodial History||Deposited with the CMS by Rev. Gordon Hewitt, July 1974 and 1977; transferred on permanent loan to the Special Collections Department by the CMS in the 1980s|