|Administrative History||The Uganda Ladies' Working Party (initially 'Eastern Equatorial Africa Working Party') was set up in 1888 to support the CMS Uganda Mission. It met fortnightly and aimed to make things to be sold in aid of the Uganda Mission.|
Although set up under the auspices of the CMS, it was especially connected with the work of Rev Robert P. Ashe, a CMS missionary from Blackburn. Rev Ashe was stationed in Uganda. During a furlough in England in 1887 he reported on the missionaries' need for a boat to allow them to cross the Nyanza Victoria Lake. The proceeds of the Working Party's first sale of work, (promoted by Miss Ashe, Rev Ashe's sister and the Misses Lewis), were devoted towards the purchase of a steamer.
In 1926, the Working Party was reconstituted. It began to meet monthly and the funds it raised were used for CMS medical mission work in the protectorate of Uganda.
In 1970, the name was changed to Friends of the Uganda Working Party.
It was dissolved in 1972.
Reference: Finding aid to the collection
|Custodial History||Deposited with the CMS per J. Greaves, Mar 1976; transferred on permanent loan to the Special Collections Department by the CMS in the 1980s|