Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)CMS/ACC438
TitleAccession 438: Records of the Missionary Electric Light Company
Extent2 files
DescriptionThis collection consists of copies of 'Flashlights', the magazine of the Missionary Electric Light Company founded 1908, printed annual reports of the company and other miscellaneous papers
ArrangementThis collection forms part of the Church Missionary Society Unofficial Papers. It is arranged into one series: Family Papers
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection (forming part of the wider CMS/ACC unofficial papers catalogue) is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue. A paper copy of this catalogue is also available for consultation at Special Collections.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryThe Missionary Electric Light Company was founded 5 March 1908 as a support group for an 'Own [CMS] Missionary' (ie one who they would supported in part or whole). The idea sprang from a suggestion in a book by Irene Barnes called "Pip and Co" [published by CMS]. The first missionary to be supported was G T Basden who worked in Nigeria (Oka). The main company was based at Widcombe, Bath, but there were also branches at Finchley (inaugurated September 1911), Taunton, Dulwich, and New Ferry Cheshire (Mersey Missionary Light and Power Company). The president was Miss Irene Barnes The committee included Harold E Guillebaud [CMS missionary in Rwanda]. Source: Information supplied by CMS Archivist.
Custodial HistoryDeposited with the CMS in May 1980 and transferred to the Special Collections Department in July 2003


    Some of our most significant collections