|Emma Lockett trained as a teacher before being accepted by the CMS as a missionary and sent, initially to the East Africa mission based in Frere Town in 1895. She later worked in Nairobi with fellow missionary George Burns, where between 1915 and 1925 they were the only two missionaries in the region. She remained a missionary in East Africa until 1933.
Reference: Register of missionaries (clerical, lay & female) and native clergy from 1804 to 1904 (Church Missionary Society, 1905)
|Deposited with the CMS July 1990 and previously belonging to Miss May Brocklehurst, a friend of Miss M. H. Murray, CMS missionary in the Taita Hills region of Kenya 1920-1957.