|This collection of papers relate to the medical work in Foochow, China, of CMS missionary, Dr George Wilkinson including papers relating to the resignation, in 1921, of both Dr Wilkinson and his wife from her work at the Blind Boys School, Foochow; printed annual reports 1916-1919 and photographs of the blind boys. PART OF THIS COLLECTION HAS BEEN RETAINED BY THE CMS AND SO IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION AT THE CADBURY RESEARCH LIBRARY. IT IS CURRENTLY HELD AT THE CROWTHER CENTRE FOR MISSION EDUCATION AT CMS IN OXFORD AND ENQUIRIES ABOUT ACCESS SHOULD BE MADE TO THE CMS ARCHIVIST, KEN OSBORNE (firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: 01865787553)
|George Wilkinson was born in 1866 at Sturton-le-Steeple, Nottinghamshire and educated at Gainsborough Grammar School and Emmanuel College, Cambridge where he qualified in medicine in 1892. He worked as House Surgeon at the Middlesex Hospital and Bolton Hospital before becoming Director of the Islington Medical Mission. In 1899 he was accepted by the CMS as a missionary and was located to the Fuhkien Mission, China. On the opening of the CMS Hospital, Foochow in 1901 Dr Wilkinson was appointed as medical superintendent and over the next twenty years oversaw the development and expansion of hospital services in the Fuhkien Mission area. In 1902 he married nursing missionary, Amy Isabel Oxley, of New South Wales, Australia.
Reference: Register of missionaries (clerical, lay & female) and native clergy from 1804 to 1904 (Church Missionary Society, 1905)
|Deposited with the CMS August 2000