Record

LevelSub-fonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)CMS/ACC91
TitleAccession 91:Tucker MSS
Extent33 bundles, 3 vols.
Date1828-1865
DescriptionPapers of Rev John Tucker as CMS Secretary of the Madras Corresponding Committee between 1833 and 1847. They appear to be his own copies of official papers and correspondence, his notes and working papers and copies of printed material. A small quantity of material dates from after his return from India.
ArrangementThis collection forms part of the Church Mission Society Unofficial Papers. It is arranged into one series: Official Papers.

The series is arranged into 16 sub-series:
Cottayam College and mission;
Syrian Church;
Government;
Authority of the Bishop;
Correspondence with bishops;
Mission matters;
Accounts;
Papers of Rev W. T. Humphrey;
Letters;
Correspondence;
Miscellaneous;
Miscellaneous printed papers mainly relating to education in India;
Correspondence and papers relating to the proposed Protestant College in Madras;
Correspondence and papers relating to educational policy in India;
Miscellaneous printed papers.
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered readers
LanguageEnglish
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection (forming part of the wider CMS/ACC unofficial papers catalogue) is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue. A paper copy of this catalogue is also available for consultation at Special Collections.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryRev. John Tucker (d 1873) was educated at Christ College Oxford where he was awarded a BA in 1813 and became a Fellow in 1817. He was ordained a deacon in 1818 and priest in 1819 and became minister of Southborough, Kent. In 1833 he went to South India as Secretary of the Madras Corresponding Committee 1833-1847. In 1847, on his return to England, he was appointed Secretary at CMS Headquarters, a post he held until 1852. Between 1852 and 1873 he was vicar of West Hendred, Berkshire. He died in 1873. His sister, Sarah Tucker, wrote a number of early missionary books and the Sarah Tucker Institution in Palamcotta was founded in her memory.
Reference: Register of missionaries (clerical, lay & female) and native clergy from 1804 to 1904 (Church Missionary Society, 1905); and manuscript additions to register
Custodial HistoryThe original provenance of this collection is unknown. It was transferred on permanent loan to the University of Birmingham by the CMS in the 1980s.
Related MaterialThe University of Birmingham also holds the Church Mission Society Archive. This collection is closely related to the records of the CMS South India Mission, CMS/B/OMS C I2.

    Showcase

    Some of our most significant collections