|Administrative History||The Mission's orphanage was started by the Sisters of the Community of St Peter, in Seoul, to give a home to abandoned orphan girls. From 1913 the orphanage was based at Sou-won [Suwon], and was staffed for some time by Sisters of the Society of the Holy Cross. In 1951 a second home was started at An-chung [Anjung] by Father Pak Augustine, which took in boys. Additional support was afforded by the St Nicholas Shelter at Pusan, from where children were sent to hospitals or orphanages. The Mission provided orphans with food, clothing, education, and aimed to equip them for life. This included finding husbands for girls and providing marriage dowries, and sending boys on to university of trade school. In order to raise funds to assist with this work the Mission established an orphan adoption (or sponsorship) scheme. People from all over the world were able to 'adopt' an orphan at Sou-won or An-chung by paying an annual sum. Any individual or group (e.g. school, Sunday School) could become a 'parent', and in return would receive a photograph and regular news of their orphan. The scheme was administered through the Secretary of the Korean|
Mission in London.