Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)DA24/6/4
TitleCorrespondence with Cecil Cooper
Extent6 files
DescriptionCorrespondence with Cecil Cooper, Bishop in Korea (1931-1954), dated 12 Jan 1948 - 17 Feb 1967. Correspondence relates to the administration of the Diocese in the period following the Second World War and leading up to 1950, when Bishop Cooper was taken prisoner by Communist forces during the Korean War. It resumes for the period 1953-1954, following repatriation and return to his Diocese. Includes financial statements and budgets for the Anglican Church in Korea, 1951-1954. Correspondence following Bishop Cooper's retirement in 1954 relates to his engagements in parishes around the UK. Cecil Cooper's manuscript account of the 'Death March'; press cuttings, 1942-1950; notes on the life of Cecil Cooper; copies of articles in 'Illustrated', Sep 1953, comprising accounts from Cooper and others of their experience as prisoners in North Korea.
ArrangementPapers in 6 parts: [parts 1-4] correspondence, chronological order; [part 5] manuscript; [part 6] press cuttings & notes
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryAlfred Cecil Cooper went out as a missionary priest to the Diocese of Korea in 1908. He was consecrated as Bishop of the Diocese in 1931. Following the liberation of Korea from the Japanese at the end of the Second World War, he returned to Korea and laboured to rebuild the Church. In 1950 he refused to leave the Diocese when the Communist forces occupied the Capital (Seoul), and he was taken into captivity in North Korea. He was forced to undertake the 'Death March', when all Communist prisoners were marched north as U.N. troops pushed towards the Yalu River. Bishop Cooper survived the march, but other missionaries were lost including Father Charles Hunt and Sister Mary Clare. Bishop Cooper spent two and a half years as a prisoner in North Korea, and was finally repatriated in April 1953. In his absence the Diocese was administered by Arthur Arthur Chadwell, who was consecrated as Assistant Bishop of Korea in Nov 1951. Bishop Cooper returned to Korea in October 1953. He retired
in 1954.


    Some of our most significant collections