|Description||Records of the Nurses' Christian Movement; comprising incomplete sequences of the Movement's signed minutes, 1909-1967; and incomplete sequences of the Movement's publications including printed annual reports for the years 1905-1951, issues of its 'Leaflet', 'Monthly Letter', and magazine/newsletter 'Nurses Near and Far', and individual publications commissioned in the course of its activity |
|Administrative History||The Nurses' Missionary Union was established in 1903, although it changed its name to the Nurses' Missionary League in 1906, and changed its name again to the Nurses' Christian Movement in 1941. This body closed in 1967 but a gift of funds led to the establishment of the Discovery Foundation for Christian Work among Nurses and Associated Professions.|
|Custodial History||Records of the Nurses' Missionary League (subsequently the Nurses' Christian Movement) were deposited with Selly Oak Colleges Library in 1967 on the winding up of the Nurses' Christian Movement. The collection was was then transferred to the Orchard Learning Resources Centre which was opened in 1997 following the merger of the Selly Oak Colleges Library and the Westhill College Library. In 2000, the custodianship of all archive collections at the Orchard Learning Resources Centre was transferred to the University of Birmingham.|
Cataloguing of the papers was undertaken by the Special Collections Department, University of Birmingham, in March 2000, as a result of the University of Birmingham's relationship with Selly Oak Colleges' endowment trust.