Record

LevelFonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)DA38
TitleLectures given by Professor Albert Schweitzer
Extent1 file
Date1922
DescriptionDetailed manuscript notes, made by [Mrs] J. M. Powers, of two lectures given in German by Professor Albert Schweitzer, together with typescript translations of the notes and an accompanying letter from J. M. Powers to Mr [John William] Hoyland. The lectures were delivered at Weoley Hill Village Church under the auspices of the Selly Oak Colleges on 25 and 27 February 1922 under the title 'The Gospel of Jesus in the light of the history of religion'
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered readers
LanguageEnglish
Finding AidsThis is a preliminary description and will be enhanced at a future date. For further information please contact Special Collections.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryJohn William Hoyland was head of Kingsmead, a Selly Oak College and a Quaker study centre set up by the Friends Foreign Mission Association in 1903 to train its workers for foreign service. He was also Chairman of Selly Oak Colleges Council which was set up in 1919 which was the representative body of the seven constituent colleges. Albert Schweitzer was invited to Selly Oak during his visit to England when he was delivering his Dale lectures on Civilisation and Ethics at Mansfield College, Oxford. According to a biography of Hoyland, the invitation to Schweitzer was suggested to Hoyland by John Naish, a Quaker missionary and Schweitzer combined this speaking engagement to Birmingham with a Bach recital on the organ held in Carrs Lane Church. Mrs Powers (nee Metzger), a former member of the Basel Mission in India, joined the teaching staff at Kingsmead in 1920 as a language teacher and she built up a department of language study for the training of missionary candidates.
Reference: H. G. Wood, John William Hoyland of Kingsmead (London: SPCK, 1931)
Custodial HistoryThe provenance of this collection is unknown. It was formerly held by the Selly Oak Colleges Library and was then transferred to the Orchard Learning Resources Centre which was opened in 1997 following the merger of the Selly Oak Colleges Library and the Westhill College Library. In 2000, the custodianship of all archive collections held at the Orchard Learning Resources Centre was transferred to the University of Birmingham