Record

LevelFonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)DA54
TitlePapers of Rev J. Sterling M. Hooper
Extent35 items
Date[1950]-1966
DescriptionCorrespondence and papers of Rev Hooper, [1954]-1966, and personal ephemera, nd [1950]
ArrangementThe papers are arranged into two series: correspondence and papers, and personal ephemera. Thereunder files are arranged chronologically
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered readers
LanguageEnglish
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue. A paper copy of this catalogue is also available for consultation at Special Collections.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryRev J. M. Sterling Hooper (b 1882) was a missionary in India, and a writer of publications on the subject of Bible translation. His publications included:
The Approach to the Gospel (London, 1920)
Hymns of the Alvars (Calcutta: Association Press, 1929)
The Bible in India (London: Oxford University Press, 1938) and second edition published under the title Bible Translation in India, Pakistan and Ceylon (Indian Branch, Oxford University Press, 1963);
The Temptation and the Establishment of the Kingdom of God (Madras: Christian Literature Society for India, 1948)
Greek New Testament Terms in Indian Languages: a comparative word list (The Bible Society Of India and Ceylon, 1957)
Custodial HistoryIt is possible that Rev Lesslie Newbigin acquired these papers, as they were found amongst Newbigin's papers during the cataloguing of that collection. However, there is no information regarding the separate provenance of Hooper's papers. Lesslie Newbigin's own papers were deposited with Selly Oak Colleges Library in 1992 and were then transferred to the Orchard Learning Resources Centre which was opened in 1997 following the merger of the Selly Oak Colleges Library and the Westhill College Library. In 2000, the custodianship of all archive collections held at the Orchard Learning Resources Centre was transferred to the University of Birmingham

Cataloguing of the papers was undertaken by the Special Collections Department, University of Birmingham, in February 2001, as a result of the University of Birmingham's relationship with Selly Oak Colleges endowment trust.
Associated MaterialsThe collection included a quantity of printed material which is now stored and catalogued separately.

    Showcase

    Some of our most significant collections