Record

LevelFonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)MLA
TitleMissionary Leaves Association
Extent3 standard boxes
Date1871-1920
DescriptionMinutes of the Missionary Leaves Association 1871-1920, and the Missionary Leaves Association Trust Association 1909-1920, legal papers and correspondence 1883-1920, annual reports 1905, 1913-1918, and photographs c 1880. Only one extract of the circular 'Missionary Leaves' is available in the archive.
ArrangementThe records are arranged in three series:
/C: Committee work
/F: Finance
/Z: Miscellaneous
Location91/A/3
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered researchers
LanguageEnglish
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue. A paper copy of this catalogue is also available for consultation at Special Collections.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryThe Missionary Leaves Association (MLA) was founded in 1869 by Reverend R. C. Billing and Mrs H. G. Malaher of Reading, Miss A. Lanfear of Hungerford and other friends. Mr H. G. Malaher was its first Secretary 1869-1905, and its headquarters were at 20 Compton Terrace, London. The purpose of the Association was to assist Church Missionary Society missionaries and indigenous clergy in the CMS mission areas by providing an agency through which they could obtain things necessary for their work but not provided by the CMS eg harmoniums, equipment for lantern shows, church furniture and bells etc. It also collected contributions for the support of orphans and children in boarding schools. The Missionary Leaves Trust (Incorporated) was formed in 1909 under the Companies (Consolidation) Act 1908 to act as trustee for MLA property and investments.

The Association supplied goods for sale to people in the British Isles who organised fundraising events for the CMS. Exhibitions were arranged by local friends of the CMS and Church of England Zenana Missionary Society following the successful first missionary exhibition in 1882 at Cambridge. H. G. Malaher helped from the first in collecting and arranging the exhibits, many of which were provided by the CMS Loan Department.

The number of exhibitions increased until, by 1919, the CMS decided that it wished to exercise more control and created its own exhibition department; it appointed Thomas Holmes Baxter, MLA Secretary 1905-1920, as the head of what was to be called 'The General Wants Department of the CMS'; the Department was to absorb and develop the work of MLA and would be responsible for exhibitions, the servicing of working parties and the CMS Loan Department. In 1920, MLA went into voluntary liquidation and its work continued as part of the CMS General Wants Department which in 1921 was also to incorporate the Medical Wants Department and Sale of Work Department of the Medical Mission Auxiliary. Source: Rosemary Keen, Catalogue of the papers of the Missionary Leaves Association; from the records.

The name of the ‘Church Missionary Society’ was changed to 'Church Mission Society' in April 1995.
Custodial HistoryThe online copy of the catalogue was updated in 2022 to reflect the change in name of the CMS.
AcquisitionRecords deposited by the Church Mission Society prior to 1987.
Related MaterialSee also the Church Mission Society Archive (GB 0150 CMS), particularly the catalogue of the Medical (CMS/M) and Finance Departments (CMS/F). For brief information about the continuing development of the work formerly undertaken by the MLA, see the description of the work of the General Wants Department (CMS/H/H19) in the Catalogue of the Papers of the Home Division; please note that whilst a listing of the records of the General Wants Department survives, almost all of the records themselves were destroyed in a fire in CMS off-site storage in 1989, only one cashbook for 1935-1956 is now available for research (CMS/H/H19 F1/1).

    Showcase

    Some of our most significant collections