|Description||The majority of William Sands Cox's correspondence for this period relates to the consolidation of the Birmingham School of Medicine. On 4 June 1834 the Birmingham School of Medicine opened new premises on Paradise Street. The medical year 1834-1835 was opened on 6 October 1834 in the presence of patrons and donors including the President, Dr E. Johnstone and William Legge, 4th Earl of Dartmouth. Twelve trustrees were appointed as follows: the Earl of Dartmouth, the Earl of Bradford, Lord Lyttelton, Sir Charles Throckmorton, Sir Eardley Wilmot, Reverend J. T. Law, Edward Johnstone, John Johnstone, J. K. Booth, James Taylor, J. W. Unett and E. T. Cox. 1834-1839 was a period of growth and development. 1835 was the inauguration of the Birmingham Medical Students' Debating Society. During 1836 Sands Cox was elected into the Royal Society, his nomination was signed by the Earl of Dartmouth, Sir Henry Halford, Sir Astley Cooper and Dr John Kidd, Regius Professor of Physics at Oxford.|
A significant number of letters during 1835-1836 relate to Sands Cox's efforts in obtaining patronage from King William IV. After an initial rejection and reluctance, it appears that Sands Cox relentlessly tried again and was successful as attested by the letter sent on 1 March 1836 from the Earl of Stamford informing Sands Cox that King William IV has consented to become patron of the Birmingham School of Medicine, now known as Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery. It appears that the Royal status was withdrawn with the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837 and some letters from this period refer to a petition, or memorial, to try to gain the Royal status once more.
Some correspondence dated 1838-1839 offer testimonials written in support of Sands Cox's application to the post of surgeon at the Birmingham General Hospital. A letter from Somerville dated 17 September 1838 refers to the re-emergence of 'resurrectionists' in the city of Birmingham. Some letters from this period ask for Sands Cox's medical advice including a servant's severe attack of warts on 1 January 1837 by Mount Norris. Letters from Warwick dated August and September 1834 offer the bodies of animals dying in the menagerie and not required by the London Zoological Society.