|Description||At the beginning of the 1840s Sands Cox and the Council of the Birmingham School of Medicine were occupied with the labour of founding and organizing a proposed new hospital in Birmingham. Correspondence from this period indicates that fund raising began in earnest. Ample funds appeared to have flowed in and Queen Victoria and the Queen Dowager, Queen Adelaide, accepted the joint position of Patron of the charity. Consequently, Prince Albert became the first President and the school became known as Queen's College. The newly established Queen's Hospital contained some 130 beds, of which 70 were presented by donors on the completion of the building. In 1843 lady patronesses were added to the institutions members as indicated by a number of letters from this period. These letters include those written on behalf of Lady Jane Peel and Lady Lander who both contributed towards funding the beds in 1842.|
By the mid-1840s the Queen's Hospital was well established as a provision of clinical instruction for the medical students of Birmingham. Queen's Hospital was extended in 1845 and again in 1847 when lying-in wards and a fever block were added. On 17 July 1843 a charter was obtained which incorporated the Society of the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery into one body named 'Queen's College'. Certificates issued by College were now legally recognised. In 1846 this recognition was extended to include degrees in Arts and Law. Some correspondence suggests close ties with King's College such as the letter received on 1 February 1846 from the Earl of Dartmouth who informed Sands Cox that he will send him a copy of the charter of King's College. In 1847 a supplementary charter was issued which tightened the influence of, and connection with, the Church of England.
All correspondence for this period is addressed to Sands Cox and the vast majority deal with issues surrounding the Birmingham School of Medicine and the Queen's College. During the 1840s the Birmingham School of Medicine pursued the issued of collegiate discipline. Some letters dated 1843 refer to signing a petition on this matter and sending it to Queen Victoria. The majority of correspondence from this decade relates to raising funds by increasing the number of patrons and patronesses. Other correspondence refers to charity balls. Three letters dated 1845 offer donations to assist with the publication of a proposed book by Sands Cox.