|Description||Correspondence for this period comprises 20 letters addressed to Sands Cox and three letters written after his death in December 1875. Of these three letters, two do not detail the recipient and one, dated 11 April 1881, refers to the location of a portrait of Sands Cox. A number of letters, dated 1871-1873, relate to the loan or gift of published works including the annals of Queen's College. In 1874 a publication which included reprints of the charter and supplementary charter were sent to both individuals and to King's College, London. The correspondence also comprises three letters, dated 1872, relating to the purchase of a property in Kenilworth.|
This period witnessed the decline of Sands Cox's influence over Queen's College. The Arts Department died out in 1872. In 1873 the medical committees of the General and Queen's Hospitals effected the conjunction of the two hospitals into a single clinical field. In 1881 denistry was introduced in association with the Dental Hospital. Mason College was opened in 1880 and an arrangement was concluded that Mason professors also became professors of their subjects at Queen's College. It was agreed that the students of Mason College should take their preliminary scientific training at Mason College.