|Administrative History||Dr Ernest A. Watson, 1887-1975, educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham and University of Birmingham, where he obtained an honours degree in mechanical and electrical engineering in 1907, followed by an Master of Science degree at Liverpool University in 1909. In the same year he visited Canada and the United States of America, and joined the firm of Morris and Lister Company in Coventry (the firm was acquired by Joseph Lucas Ltd in 1930). In 1918 Watson was awarded the Order of British Empire for his work on magneto design during the First World War. In 1924 he made a second visit to Canada and the United States. In 1930 Watson became Chief Engineer at Joseph Lucas Ltd, and later Director. He worked on the Whittle Jet engine in 1940. In 1944 he was awarded an honorary D.Sc by University of Birmingham. Dr Watson died in July 1975. |
Reference: Jeannine Alton and Harriot Weiskittel, Contemporary Scientific Archives Centre Papers of Dr Ernest A. Watson, OBE (The Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, 1976).
|Custodial History||Received for cataloguing from Watson in 1974-1975 by the Contemporary Scientific Archives Centre. Deposited in the University of Birmingham Library in 1976. |