|Description||Collection of sermons of St. Augustine of Hippo, in Latin, written in Italy with illuminated initials and bound by Charles Lewis in 1827. |
Description of decoration:
Illuminated capitals appear on folios 1, 48v and 51
Fol. 1r - Illuminated 'F' initial against red, blue, green and white highlighted background of interlacing vines done in penwork, drawn to show the vine growing through the letter. White highlighting appears to be light blue against the darker blue background, possibly evidence of illustrator rushing when highlighting and not allowing the ink to dry properly. There is also evidence of highlighting on the green part of the background, however this has not run.
Fol. 3v - Rubricated 'S' in blue ink at three lines high, decorated with penwork.
Fol. 5r - Rubricated 'F' in red ink at three lines high, decorated with penwork.
Various other initials are rubricated throughout the manuscript, alternating between red and blue, all at three lines high. This is the only decoration throughout the manuscript.
|Custodial History||Former location: MSS 5/vi/12; inscription by Rev H Drury 1827|
Presentation recorded in University Librarian's Annual Report 1957/1958