|Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)||MS785|
|Title||John Hardman & Co, Birmingham |
|Extent||3 standard boxes, 2 large boxes, 1 outsized|
|Date||19th-20th century |
|Thumbnail (Click this image to open a larger image)|
|Description||Drawings for stained-glass windows and other material from John Hardman studios.|
Accession 2008/84: Seven drawings for stained-glass windows. 2 drawings are by designer Patrick A. Feeny. 4 drawings are by Donald B. Taunton, designer and a co-partner at Hardman Studios.
Accession 2008/85: Four drawings for stained-glass windows produced by John Hardman & Co. Unidentified church, and unidentified artist.
Accession 2009/20: Nine drawings for stained-glass windows produced by John Hardman Studios.
Accession 2009/21: 30 drawings for stained-glass windows and Stations of the Cross, produced by John Hardman Studios.
Accession 2009/22: Material from John Hardman studios, c70 items. Some record commissions carried out by the studio, and depict glass, memorials and liturgical paraphernalia. Others depict a range of ecclesiastical subjects. The items are mainly photographs and prints, although there are some original drawings.
Accession 2010/18: Coloured design for memorial stained glass window in unidentified church produced by by John Hardman Studios and designed W. G. Edwards: centre panel depicts Christ on the cross and in triumph form, flanked by the four British patron saints, St George and St Patrick on the left and St Andrew and St David on the left
Accession 2010/47: 21 coloured designs and one black and white photograph of a design for stained glass window in various churches and other religious buildings in the UK and overseas: [St Mary's Catholic Church], Fleetwood, Lancashire; [St Patrick's Catholic Church, Dumbarton]; [St Elizabeth Catholic Church], Scarisbrick, Lancashire, 1946; unidentified church, Perth, Australia; [St Mary's Convent of Mercy], Handsworth, Birmingham; [Holy Family Catholic Church], Blackpool, 1931; St Paul's Church, New Rochell, New York; [St Mary's Church],West Derby, Liverpool; [chapel at Upper Padley Manor, Grindleford, Derbyshire]; Tenby [Catholic Church]; [Church of St Marie of the Annunciation], Standish; unidentified church, Glasgow, 1939; unidentified church, Hull; StAndrew's Church, Blackhall, Hartlepool, 1980
|Access Conditions||Access to all registered researchers.|
|Copyright||Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from the Director of Special Collections (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Special Collections will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material|
|Finding Aids||This is a preliminary description and will be enhanced at a future date. For further information please contact Special Collections - see notes in the depositors folder (ref: MS785) .|
|Creator Name||John Hardman & Co, Birmingham|
|Administrative History||John Hardman & Co., Ltd was founded in 1838 when John Hardman left his partnership in the family button-making business to produce metalwork in the medieval style and method, for the growing number of revived Gothic buildings then being erected. The company prospered, as Hardman's friend and active collaborator, A.W.N. Pugin produced most of his designs. Eventually, Pugin insisted that the company extend its activities to making stained glass, as the quality and service of the contemporary manufacturers was inconsistent. The result was a brilliantly successful venture which made furnishings, enamel work, embroidery, precious and functional metalwork, and stained glass of the very highest quality.|
In London, Sir Charles Barry's New Palace of Westminster was being built to house the 'Mother of Parliaments' and most of the metalwork and stained glass was designed and supervised by Pugin, and after his death, his pupil and John Hardman's nephew, John Hardman Powell. These were all made in the company's Birmingham workshops and the records of that period supply a fascinating insight into the running of, what was probably one of the largest teams of decorative craftsmen ever assembled. After severe damage to the Houses of Parliament in the Second World War, Hardmans supplied many new windows and restored much of the old glass, and this tradition has continued with the most recent commission for the manufacture of the stained glass windows for St. Stephen's Hall, New Palace of Westminster.
Throughout the world most major cathedrals, churches and many civic buildings contain some of the very distinctive windows designed and made by Hardmans.
Information taken in April 2009 from the website of John Hardman Trading Co., Ltd (Artists in Stained Glass & Ecclesiastical Ornament). http://www.hardmantrading.co.uk/home.htm
|Acquisition||Purchased by Special Collections, 2008-2010|
|Associated Materials||Birmingham Archives & Heritage service hold the extensive records of John Hardman and Company and Hardman Powell and Company, Stained Glass and Metalwork Manufacturers GB0143 MS 175|