|Description||Folio volumes of drawings, copies of manuscripts, pedigrees and transcriptions of inscriptions on gravestones and memorial tablets, made by and for William Mytton of Halston, Shropshire, relating principally to Shropshire churches. The drawings include sketches of funerary monuments, memorials and coats of arms, including representations of these in church windows. There are a small number of drawings of external views of churches and a limited amount of material relating to Shropshire historic monuments. The collection includes unpublished material relating to Shropshire.|
|Notes||Information for staff:|
This catalogue, along with images, was imported via CALM from Shropshire Archives who borrowed the Mytton Papers (MYT) from Cadbury Research Library for digitisation and cataloguing. The reference numbers X781 and SA-IMG mentioned within the CALM entries are those of Shropshire Archives and do not relate to our reference system here at the Cadbury Research Library (see further information on the staff shared drive in the catalogues and handlists folder under MYT).
Images of the MYT collection were digitized by Shropshire Archives (low resolution and not publication quality). Shropshire gave Cadbury Research Library a copy of these images, which have been added to CALM and are stored on the staff M drive.
References on Shropshire's catalogue use most of our 'Tree Number' but they substitute our XMYT reference for their X7381. Shropshire have artificially created series levels when cataloguing (each place has its own series level entry). As we do not have a reference number for these series levels, they have written in our Finding Number field on our CALM system as MYT+. See the 'item level' entries for the finding number to allow you to order the documents.
Where documents contain several pages, Shropshire have created a separate entry for them giving each page an A; B; C etc letter after the finding number.
|Administrative History||William Mytton, 1693-1746, was the son of Richard Mytton of Halston, Shropshire. He was educated at Wadham College, Oxford, gaining his BA in 1714/15 and his MA in 1719 and was incorporated at Cambridge in 1726. He was an antiquary and a Shropshire genealogist and was Rector of Habberley, Shropshire. He died on 3 September 1746. Reference: Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1500-1714 (Oxford, 1891).|
At the back of volume MYT/6 is the original spine binding which states the volume was part of 'Halston Library'.