Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)SJC
TitleArchives of St John's College, Nottingham
Extent63 standard boxes, 5 large boxes, 2 outsize boxes, 2 boxes of glass slides
DescriptionThis collection comprises the archives of St John's College, Nottingham and its predecessor, the London College of Divinity. The manuscripts include the minutes of the Council of the College from 1879 onwards, as well as minute books of other College committees; account books; staff records; examination papers and mark books; building plans; correspondence on a range of matters relating to the College; and the manuscript of G. C. B. Davies' history, 'College Men for the Ministry: The History of the London College of Divinity', published in 1963. The printed material comprises mainly the College publications including copies of St John's Magazine and the Johnian and sets of the College calendar and prospectus. There are also several hundred photographs; scrapbooks; tapes and various memorabilia relating to the College.

The collection is a rich source of information on many aspects of the history and life of the College, in particular the administration of the college; its finances and appeals for funds; its buildings, including planning for new accommodation and the upkeep of the fabric; the appointment and employment of teaching and other staff; student enrolment, attendance and pastoral care; curriculum and examinations; and its relationships with London University and the Church of England hierarchy and ministry.
ArrangementThe bundles of letters, deeds and papers have largely been left as received, and the contents description on many boxes retained.

The collection has been arranged into the following sections:

SJC/1. College publications

SJC/2. Printed works relating to the history of the College

SJC/3. Deeds and other legal documents

SJC/4. Minute books

SJC/5. Financial records

SJC/6. Other registers

SJC/7. Correspondence and other papers

SJC/8. Material relating to courses, examinations and qualifications

SJC/9. Material relating to the history of the College

SJC/10. Newspapers and newscuttings

SJC/11. Commonplace books, notebooks and other items

SJC/12. Pictorial items

SJC/13. Audiovisual material

SJC/14. Maps and plans

SJC/15. College memorabilia

SJC/16. Other miscellaneous items relating to the College

SJC/17. Other theological organisations

SJC/18. Other printed material

SJC/19. Miscellanea
Access ConditionsAccess to all registered researchers
Finding AidsA catalogue of this collection is available on the online archive catalogue. Click on the Finding Number to display the summary contents list of the catalogue and to view the full catalogue, or view the catalogue as a PDF file by clicking in the document field below. A paper copy is also available in the Cadbury Research Library: Special Collections Department.
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryThe London College of Divinity was established in 1863, with the financial support of the Reverend Alfred Peache and his sister Miss Kezia Peache, as an evangelical theology college to train men who wished to be clergy but who could not go to university, generally because they lacked the required educational background. The first Principal of the college was one of its founders, the Reverend Thomas P. Boultbee. Most notable among his more recent successors was the Reverend F. D. Coggan, later Archbishop of Canterbury, who was Principal, 1944-1956. From its start, the college had close links with other institutions in the Evangelical wing of the Anglican Church, such as the Church Pastoral Aid Society which was set up to fund the training of evangelical clergy.

The college opened in Mortimer Road, St John's Wood, in buildings formerly occupied by St John's Foundation School. The college continued to use the name London College of Divinity, St John's Hall for the next hundred years as it moved to various locations in and around London. The most well known of these were the imposing buildings at Highbury in north London, which the college occupied between 1866 and 1940, the site of which is now part of Arsenal Football Club. In 1970, the College moved to Bramcote near Nottingham and it severed its connections with London University. The college was renamed St John's College and it established links with Nottingham University.

Reference: Janet M. Claridge, Handlist of the St John's College Archives (University of Birmingham, 1995).

London College of Divinity/St John's College

Locations of the College include:

1863-1865 Mortimer Road, Kilburn, London (buildings formerly occupied by St John's Foundation School)

1865-1940 Avenell Road, Highbury, London (buildings formerly occupied by

a) Congregationalist College, 1826-1850

b) Church of England Metropolitan Training Institution, 1850-1864)

1940-1942 Wadhurst School for Girls, Wadhurst, Sussex

1942-1946 Oakhill College, Southgate, Middlesex

1946-1947 West Acre, a Harrow School House, Harrow, Middlesex

1947-1957 Ford Manor, Lingfield, Surrey (now Greathed Manor)

1957-1969 Northwood, Middlesex (new buildings)

1969- Bramcote, nr Nottingham (name changed to St John's College)

Principals of the College include:

1863-1884 Rev Thomas P Boultbee (1818-1884)

1884-1899 Rev Charles H Waller (1840-1910)

1899-1925 Rev Albert W Greenup (1866-1952)

1926-1942 Rev Thomas W Gilbert (1876-1942)

1942-1944 Rev Herbert W Hinde (1877-1955) - Acting Principal of LCD; Principal of Oak Hill, 1932-1945

1944-1956 Rev F Donald Coggan (b 1909) - later Archbishop of Canterbury

1956-1969 Rev Hugh Jordan (1906-1984)

1969-1975 Rev E Michael B Green (b 1930)

1975-1978 Rev Robin E Nixon (1931-1978)

1979-1985 Rev Colin O Buchanan (b 1934)

1986-1988 Rev Anthony C Thiselton (b 1937)

1988- Rev John E Goldingay (b 1942)

Presidents of the Council Include:

1863-1885 The Earl of Shaftesbury

1886-1900 The Earl of Harrowby

1900 Rev Alfred Peache (1818-1900) - founder of the College

1901-1908 Rev William H Barlow, Dean of Peterborough

1908-1924 Rev Henry Wace, Dean of Canterbury

1924-1945 Rt Rev James T Inskip, Bishop of Barking

1945-1961 Rt Rev J Ralph S Taylor, Bishop of Sodor and Man

1961- Rt Rev Russell White, Bishop of Tonbridge

Secretaries to the Council include:

1863- Mr W Irving Hare

1886-1901 Rev William H Barlow

1901-1903 Rev J F Kitto

1903-1910 Rev G F Whidborne

1910-1914 Rev J E Watts-Ditchfield

1914-1926 Rev J F Pulvertaft

1926-1945 Rev Herbert W Hinde

1945-1956 Rev T G Mohan

1956- Rev Martin Parsons

1966 Rev V N Cooper (Acting Secretary)
AcquisitionThis collection was deposited by the College in 1994. Further accruals were received during 2019
Related MaterialTwo publications relating to the history of St John's College are held on the reference shelves at the Cadbury Research Library:
/1: 'The history of St John's College, Nottingham. Part One: Mr Peache's College at Kilburn', Alan Munden, 1995;
/2: 'St John's College Nottingham. From Northwood to Nottingham: a history of 50 years, 1963-2013', Colin Buchanan, 2013. Includes lists of former staff and students.

The Cadbury Research Library also holds a rich collection of archives of missions, charities and other religious and ecclesiastical organisations which include the records of the Church Pastoral Aid Society (GB 0150 CPAS). It also includes papers of individual clergy including E. W. Barnes, Bishop of Birmingham (GB 0150 EWB)