Record

LevelSub-fonds
Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)UB/HUH/B
TitleRecords of University House Association
Extent6 standard boxes
Date1908-2009
DescriptionRecords of University House Association, an alumni group which existed on an informal basis by 1908, but which was formally constituted in 1914 to maintain links between University House and its former residents, consisting of committee minutes; constitutions; financial records relating to student support funds established by members of the Association; membership records; newsletters; programmes and attendance lists for reunions; correspondence from and relating to members; press cuttings and other information about members, including obituaries; correspondence and papers of Isobel Jackson as Association Secretary and later President with some papers of other officers; photographs of reunions and of items of furniture, paintings, and silverware in University House; papers relating to the history of the hall of residence; and partial records of the Margery Fry Memorial Trust, 1964-1979

The records provide a comprehensive overview of the activities of University House Association for the entire period of its existence, particularly the committee minutes and newsletters, which also cover the period after the closure of University House as a hall of residence in 2002 and document the Association's efforts to continue to provide a means of communicating with former residents and arranging reunions, at least up to 2009. The membership records, correspondence, and papers relating to reunions are informative sources about students and some staff members at University House, particularly for the early period of its existence when it operated as a women's hall of residence and there was perhaps a stronger sense of community. These records provide an insight into the lives and careers of women graduates from the University of Birmingham as well as memories of their time as residents of University House. The records also contain useful details about some of the male residents of University House who lived there after it became a mixed hall of residence in 1964, but the records suggest that the majority of members of University House Association were women
Access StatusOpen