Finding Number (Click this to view full catalogue structure)UB/SI
TitleRecords of the Shakespeare Institute
Extent55 boxes
DescriptionSurviving records include correspondence and research papers of successive directors, including Allardyce Nicoll; Terence Spencer; Stanley Wells; and Philip Brockbank.
Papers of Allardyce Nicoll include correspondence with the Vice-Chancellor and others which relate to the establishment of the Institute. The records include files relating to these conferences from 1948, some of which contain drafts of papers and correspondence.
There is some material relating to postgraduate courses and to the Thursday seminar, as well as papers relating to programmes of Shakespeare courses for university groups from elsewhere in the UK and from other countries, and lectures and courses for the general public.
Successive directors have been editors of principal Shakespeare editions: New Penguin Shakespeare, New Cambridge Shakespeare and the Oxford Shakespeare. Directors and Fellows have published extensively, lectured abroad under the auspices of the British Council ,and visited many countries. Records of successive directors include research papers and correspondence, particularly of Allardyce Nicoll, Terence Spencer, and Stanley Wells
The records include photographs documenting the construction of the Johnson Library at the Shakespeare Institute in the 1990s as well as photographs of Mason Croft and of Westmere on Edgbaston Park Road, used by the Shakespeare Institute until 1992
DocumentUB_SI papers.pdf
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryThe Shakespeare Institute was founded in 1951 by Allardyce Nicoll, Professor of English at the University of Birmingham. He became the Institute's first director. The Shakespeare Institute became a leading centre for Shakespeare Studies in Great Britain. Every two years the Shakespeare Institute hosts the International Shakespeare Conference which was initiated at Mason Croft in 1946 under the auspices of the British Council and was hosted by the Shakespeare Institute since its establishment in 1951
Custodial HistoryRecords previously stored at the Shakespeare Institute, surveyed and appraised in 2006
AcquisitionTransferred to the Cadbury Research Library 2010 and further appraised


    Some of our most significant collections