|Administrative History||The Local Boards Association was formed in 1890 to represent the interest of local boards of health. In 1894, however, under the Local Government Act of that year, local boards of health were transformed into urban districts and, in consequence, the Urban District Councils Association replaced the earlier association.|
The objects of the Association were 'by complete organisation more effectually to watch over and protects the interests, rights and privileges of Urban District Councils as they may be affected by Public or Private Bill legislation or Orders or regulations made by Government Departments; and in other respects to take action in relation to any other subjects in which Urban District Councils may be generally interested; and to promote such measures as may from time to time be deemed advisable'.
The Association held an annual conference from 1902 and in 1906, the period of the conference was extended from two to three days and it began to be held regularly outside London. The increasing attendance at the conference during the first 40 years or so of its existence indicates the growing importance of the association. Attendance in 1902 was 189 but this had increased already to 402 by 1909 and another dramatic increase occurred between 1928 and 1931 when attendance rose from 575 to 803. The growing importance and influence of the Association prior to 1939 is also indicated by its increased membership figures. In 1904, 54.8 per cent of all urban districts were members; the percentage increased to 66.1 in 1908, 87.3 in 1933 and to 99.55 by 1939 when all urban district councils in England and all but three Welsh ones were members. In 1970, the UDCA still represented the vast majority of authorities which were eligible for membership. The Association was formally governed by an Executive Council, although some work was given to standing committees which included a Law and Parliamentary Committee, a Housing and Town Planning Committee and a General Purposes Committee. Numerous sub-committees were also appointed.
Following local government re-organisation in April 1974, the UDCA ceased to exist. The Association of District Councils (ADC) replaced the UDCA and the RDCA as the representative body of all non-metropolitan district councils in England and district councils in Wales
Source: 'A list of the historical records retained by the Association of District Councils' compiled by Philippa Bassett as part of a research project funded by the Social Science Research Council (Birmingham: Centre for Urban and Regional Studies, University of Birmingham,1980)
|Custodial History||The custody of the records passed into the hands of the Association of District Councils and these were held at their headquarters in Buckingham Gate, London in 1980. |