|Administrative History||Vaughan Thomas (1775-1858) was an Anglican clergyman, antiquary and philanthropist. He was admitted as a scholar of Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1794 and subsequently elected to a fellowship which he held until 1812. He was awarded his BA in 1796, MA in 1800 and BD in 1809. In 1803 he became vicar of Yarnton in Oxfordshire; in 1804, he was appointed vicar of Stoneleigh, Warwickshire; and then in 1811, he was given the rectory of Duntisborne Rous in Gloucestershire. He held all three livings until his death in 1858.|
He was a voluminous author and his principal work was 'The Italian Biography of Sir Robert Dudley Knight' (Oxford, 1861) for which he began to collect materials in 1806. Numerous addresses and sermons which he delivered were printed and published and these include several relating to Birmingham hospitals and to the development of surgical and medical education in Birmingham. For example, he delivered an address delivered at the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery at the third anniversary meeting August 29, 1838 (1838); and a sermon entitled 'Abound in this grace also' which was preached on Sunday August 17, 1845 ... in aid of the fund for erecting a fever ward at the Queen's Hospital (1845). Vaughan Thomas appears to have been a member of the Queen's College Council (formerly the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery) in the 1840s.
Clinical teaching of medical students had been undertaken on the wards at the Birmingham General Hospital since 1779. However, it was only in 1828 that a medical school in Birmingham was formally set up. The school had its origins in a successful series of lectures on anatomy which William Sands Cox (1802-1875), a surgeon, had delivered in Birmingham in 1825 and in April 1828 he took the decision to set up a complete Medical School In 1836, when King William IV became patron of the School it was renamed at the Birmingham Royal School of Medicine and Surgery and William Sands Cox was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. Cox, who was not on the staff of the General Hospital, found it difficult to obtain clinical teaching for his students and he decided to establish a hospital designed primarily for teaching. With financial support from Dr Samuel Warneford, rector of Bourton-on-the Water, the Queen's Hospital in Bath Row was opened in 1841. In 1843, a charter was obtained by which the Royal Medical School was renamed the Queen's College, Birmingham and certificates issued by the College were to be recognised by the University of London for admission to examination for medical degrees. An Act of Parliament of 1867 repealed this and supplementary charters of Queen's College and separated it from the Queen's Hospital which became an autonomous body. In 1892, the Medical Faculty of Queen's College became the Medical Faculty of Mason College which, in turn, became the University of Birmingham.
References: Dictionary of National Biography (London, 1909); A Short History of the Medical School of the University of Birmingham (University of Birmingham, 1957)