|Activity||PROFESSIONAL HISTORY |
Information relating to his ministry in South Africa:
He arrived in South Africa in January 1957 and initially served in a white parish of Yeoville, a suburb of Johannesburg before moving to a new mining township of Evander, also in the diocese of Johannesburg, where he served as the priest for the black mineworkers, 1957-61. In 1961 he moved to the Diocese of Zululand and Swaziland, as Rector and Director of Missions at Empangeni. From 1963 until 1970, he served as the Anglican Chaplain at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg and the Johannesburg College of Education
He was a founder member of the Christian Institute; a member of the Executive Committee of the University Christian Movement of South Africa, 1966-69; National Chairman of the Division of the Christian Education of the South Africa Council of Churches, 1964-70; and involved in many other operations for the South Africa Council of Churches and the Regional Council of Churches. He was also involved in setting up the Study Project on Christianity in Apartheid Society .