|Activity||The Society's missions in India centred on Calcutta, Madras and Bombay. |
CMS Work In India: In Madras a Corresponding Committee was formed in November 1814 and the missionaries arrived the following year. A Corresponding Committee for CMS work in Bombay was formed in June 1818, thought the first missionary did not arrive until 1820.
Work in North India was controlled by the Calcutta Corresponding Committee until 1878 when the Punjab stations were joined to the work in Sind [which had been run from Bombay] to form the Punjab and Sind mission. In 1893 the North-West Provinces mission broke away from Punjab and Sind This in turn was split into the United Provinces mission from 1903 and the Central Provinces mission from 1904.
Work in South India was run by the Madras Corresponding Committee until 1881 when Travancore and Cochin was set up as an autonomous mission. In 1924 work in the Telegu area and Tinnevelly was separated from Madras and made two independent missions.