|Activity||A Corresponding Committee was set up in Calcutta in 1807 and with the renewal of the East India Company's Charter in 1813 when missionaries were allowed into the country it took on the role of a CMS Auxiliary. The first CMS missionaries to North India did not reach Calcutta until 1816. In Madras a Corresponding Committee was formed in November 1814 and the missionaries arrived the following year. A Corresponding Committee for CMS work in Bombay was formed in June 1818, though the first missionary did not arrive until 1820.|
Work in South India was run by the Madras Corresponding Committee until 1881 when Travancore and Cochin [I5] was set up as an autonomous mission. In 1924 work in the Telegu area [I9] and Tinnevelly [I10] was separated from Madras and made two independent missions.
When diocesanisation in Tinnevelly was agreed the administration of work in the area was transferred to the Diocesan Council. A CMS representative was appointed in July 1924 and a separate archive series was begun. The diocese itself was not set up until March 1925.
The main centres of CMS work of the Tinnevelly mission were at Palamcottah [Palayamkottai] (1820), Mengnanapuram (1836) and Tinnevelly town (1880).